Saturday, January 5, 2008

got shrooms?


the stump in my backyard had a nice fruiting yesterday. I think one of the reasons that I love mushrooms (besides the taste) is that they are so mysterious. Much of their life as mycelium is hidden from our view, the part that we see springs forth triggered by signals that we don't completely understand. The spores must be in the atmosphere all the time waiting (for years?) to find the suitable hardwood host to settle down and start the process of consuming the wood.
One of these days, I am going to fungi perfect and start growing mushrooms. But for now, I will look for and enjoy the serendipity of seeing the unexpected gifts.
From the fungi perfect catalog "These mushrooms are delicious when cut like steaks, basted with teriyaki and barbecued on a grill. "

No comments: