Tuesday, January 22, 2008

strange connections


I picked up a hitch hiker today. I have never done this before. I was passing by and saw a nicely dressed Caucasian lady standing by the side of the road with her thumb out. There was something about her that compelled me to stop. She got in my car, I asked her where she was going and she named a destination about 20 miles away. I was on my way to visit with my former Spanish teacher who is now also my friend and could not take her the whole trip, but could certainly get her closer to her destination. I happened to mention that I travel to Mexico and compared the easy public travel there to how terrible the public mass transit is in this country. She immediately responded that she knew that well, because her husband was Mexican, living in Hidalgo state, and that she was returning there to stay in a few months. We switched to Spanish, and talked about how in Mexico several buses, many collectivos, and taxis that one could afford would have passed by the corner she was standing on, here there would pass exactly zero options for public transportation. We talked about what is offered as Mexican food here and commiserated that it was not even a pale reflection of real Mexican food. By that time, I had to let her out because I had arrived at my destination. When I finished my visit and exited onto the highway I looked for my hitch hiker, but she was gone. I wish her well.

No comments: