Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Autism Another world


I have always thought that there are many different modalities of relating to and perceiving the world. We are so narrow in acceptance on the proper or even functional way of experiencing the world. So I think some of the new ideas about autism are fascinating. There is a video here that was made by an autistic woman in which she uses technology to explain her very valid ways of experiencing the world. I think this is actually quite moving and made me think about our limited understanding of human potential or the way the mind and brain work.
Quote from this article "The video clip opens with a woman facing away from the camera, rocking back and forth, flapping her hands awkwardly, and emitting an eerie hum. She then performs strange repetitive behaviors: slapping a piece of paper against a window, running a hand lengthwise over a computer keyboard, twisting the knob of a drawer. She bats a necklace with her hand and nuzzles her face against the pages of a book. And you find yourself thinking: Who's shooting this footage of the handicapped lady" link to video clip here

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Wow, what a fascinating article!

Servidores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.