Monday, August 11, 2008

my favorite living naturalist


Looking to for this plant that grows in my garden, I found out this a native indigo. I found this information on the plant form Jim's backyard natue site. Below is an excerpt from perhaps my favorite naturalist who is writing about the envoronment, as he explains why he is headed back to Mexico, as opposed to staying here and work for change.(Click here for full entry)
Here is an excerpt from his latest entry. All of his Newsletters are archived at http://www.backyardnature.net/n/
Jim’s backyard-nature site at
http://www.backyardnature.net
WHY HERE, NOT THERE? "Here" being the Yucat√°n, "there" being the US.
Nature is varied and dynamic enough in North America
for me to be content forever up there as a naturalist.
Also, with regard to my environmentalism, I've always
felt that my fight should be in the US, not here, not
only because I am native of there, but also because no
civilization in the history of humanity has ever been
as destructive of Nature -- with its unrestrained
appetites -- as US society. I should really stay up
there "thinking globally, working locally." So, why
have I come here, and didn't stay there?

More than anything it's because in the US public
transportation infrastructure is so poorly developed.
When I'm up there in the kinds of places I like to be
I'm grounded unless I hitch a ride with someone or
bike, and it's simply dangerous in backcountry US to
bike most roads. In Mexico, in contrast, I can get
almost anywhere paying an acceptable fare. It may be
in the back of a pickup truck or in a rickety micro
van, but at least the option exists.

By the way, just during the few weeks I was in the US
my Greyhound ticket doubled in price and service was
reduced dramatically. What used to be an overnight run
between Mississippi and the Mexican border, with two
stopovers, now takes 22 hours with three stopovers,
and each stopover is miserable. Twice in the US I had
to leave the bus because I saw my baggage being
removed in the wrong place, though clearly marked. In
Mexico, prices haven't changed, and first-class
service remains as professional as ever, which is very
good.

A second reason I'm here, not there, is political.
Twice last year nature-oriented organizations invited
me to visit them as naturalist-in-residence and twice
I was disinvited when they read my Newsletters
directing readers to the Union of Concerned
Scientists' documentation of how the Bush
Administration consistently and destructively
manipulates scientific information, and simply lies to
the US public on important issues. It seems that
professionally I have no future in the US. Here people
are glad when I can advise them on this or that
technical matter.

A third reason I am here, not there, is because at age
60 I'm anticipating needing medical services. I can't
afford basic services there, but here I think I can
get what I need at costs that even I can afford

No comments: